Project N-fidelikah

Had a great time mixing this record!

The band: Project N-fidelikah is a new funk punk ghetto underground quartet who’s roster enlists George Lynch on guitar, Chris Moore on drums, Pancho Tomaselli on bass and Angelo Moore on vocals.



HTML5 SoundCloud update

I’m always the last kid on the block to figure this stuff out…

Apparently, the SoundCloud player on my blog was not showing up on iOS devices – because it was essentially a Flash player. At some point, they allowed users to create an HTML5 player which does show up on iPads, iPhones, etc.
The new player looks much better, and displays photos too!

So feel free to check out the new player on my Audio page! Thanks for listening!

rack upheaval

Current state of the racks…

2 simple goals – (1) get the patch bay up off the ground, and (2) get rid of any outboard that has not been used in more than 2 years.

HD500 Limitations & Add ons

The Looper in the HD500 is mono. Kind of a shame for a device with so many stereo effects.

My quick fix was to grab a Boss RC-3 and put it in the FX loop. I also have a Digitech Timebender in the loop before the RC-3. Now it’s very easy to get full stereo ambient effects. If I get more into looping using this method, I may swap out the RC-3 for something a little more involved.

ps – the fx send from the HD500 is a stereo send if you use a TRS to 2 x TS cable.

Obviously the board (if you can call it that) is kind of messy right now –

1st Ribbon Mic re-tensioning – Success!!

This is not as easy as it sounds.

While prepping for a guitar session today, I noticed that my CAD Trion 7000 ribbon mic sounded “buzzy.” It’s a great mic for only $150 – but sending the mic to a repair shop for a new ribbon costs $146. Kind of like the cell phone of microphones. Opening up the mic revealed that the ribbon had stretched a bit (actually, there are 2 ribbons in this particular model) and was hitting the screen on either side, thus causing the buzz. I read a couple of “how to” articles, and decided to give it a go.

Although I was warned in advance that it is very easy to snap the ribbon, I went ahead and used tweezers to attempt to pull the ribbon taut. And the ribbon promptly ripped. I thought it was game over. However, there was just enough ribbon left over to be covered by the clamp that holds it in place. By using a Q-Tip soaked with isopropyl alcohol to temporarily hold the ribbon in place I was able to slightly tension both ribbons so that they floated in the center again, and didn’t bump into the screens on either side.

I over-tensioned the one that I ripped, and had to slightly re-do that one a bit looser.

I fired up the mic, and it sounded just like new – or possibly a bit better!

Here are some great pictures (not mine) that show what’s going on (again, not my mic – just pics I found showing the same problem):

This is not my mic - but I had the same saggy ribbon problem

This is not my mic - but I had the same saggy ribbon problem

1 of 2 ribbons tensioned

Both ribbons tensioned